Officials, academics worldwide highlight lack of evidence regarding origin of COVID-19
2020-05-11 09:21:00

Medics work at al-Abassia Chest Hospital in Cairo, Egypt on April 29, 2020. (Xinhua/Ahmed Gomaa)

The U.S. Intelligence Community (IC) has agreed to the wide scientific consensus that the COVID-19 virus was not manmade or genetically modified, according to a statement from the Office of Director of National Intelligence last week.

"The IC will continue to rigorously examine emerging information and intelligence to determine whether the outbreak began through contact with infected animals or if it was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan," the office said.

For its part, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that the Trump administration's claim on the virus' origin remains "speculative," as the organization had not received any data or specific evidence from the U.S. side.

"If that data and evidence is available, then it will be for the United States government to decide whether and when it can be shared, but it is difficult for the WHO to operate in an information vacuum in that regard," Michael Ryan, director of the WHO's health emergencies program, told a virtual press briefing on Monday.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told CNBC on Tuesday that without proof, the U.S. accusations on China for the virus' origin were serious and wrong, because the U.S. government did not deliver any proof.

Source: Xinhua Editor: Hiram